Thursday, January 17, 2008

Spellbent: Introduction

Del Rey (an imprint of Random House) has purchased my novel Spellbent and its sequels, The Devil in Miss Shimmer and Polyandrium (titles subject to change). I believe their tentative plan is to release Spellbent in early 2010 and the other books later in 2010 and 2011 (first I have to write them!)

Spellbent coverI'm entirely geeked about this. I got into science fiction and fantasy as a result of reading Del Rey authors such as Anne McCaffrey and Marion Zimmer Bradley, so I'm pretty darn happy to have become a Del Rey author myself.

Spellbent is an urban fantasy set in Columbus, Ohio. The novel has a lot of humor to balance out the gritty bits, and I'd like to think it has the sense of wonder that's missing from a lot of current urban fantasy. I tried to write the kind of book that excites me as a reader who enjoys a wide variety of genres.

If you'd like a sample, click the link below to start reading the first chapter of the book, which is entitled "A Simple Storm-Calling"; please bear in mind that it does contain some violence, profanity, and sexual content.

>> Spellbent: Chapter One, Part One